Nambara school garden is on flat terrain of half a hectare.
It is located in the Arumeru district, in the region of Arusha, in the lowest slopes of Mount Meru in the North of Tanzania.
The garden is cultivated by 220 students aged 9-16 years old, of which 118 are boys and 92 are girls. They are accompanied by four teachers and supported by 13 parents. The students and teachers try to involve the parents in the activities both in the varieties grown and the way in which they are cultivated.
The grow Moringa, spinach, Morella (Solanum Nigrum), sweet potatoes and black cabbage known as “Sukumawiki” in the local language.
The cultivation techniques are completely natural: to enrich the soil organic fertilizer is used and they use the pressed leaves of the Neem tree, Aloe Vera and chili peppers.
The produce grown here is an important source of healthy food at the school’s canteen.
Our parents are involved in every activity, from the preparation of the compost to the harvest of produce, experimenting with natural cultivation techniques. Around 90% of the produce is used at the school while the remaining 10% is sold to the parents or teachers at the school.
Arumeru, Arusha region, Tanzania
Helen Tibandebage Nguya