The origins of the Cervia saltworks are lost in ancient history. Already active during Roman times, over the centuries they expanded so much that in 1698 the inhabitants were forced to rebuild their village a few kilometers further away. In 1959 ownership passed to the state, and the 144 multiple-harvest basins were combined into one single basin, from which the salt was harvested mechanically once a year. This resulted in the loss of the traditional method: Each salter used to divide their harvesting basin into five small sections, and every day they would collect the salt from one section. This was the only way to prevent the formation of more bitter salts, which required more time for crystallization and higher concentrations.
Extractions are repeated throughout the summer season, from June to September.
Cervia Municipality, Ravenna Province
Presidium supported by
Cervia Saltworks Park Society, Po Delta Regional Park, Emilia-Romagna Region
Via Salara, 6
tel. +39 0544 971765
Gruppo Culturale Civiltà Salinara
Via Nazario Sauro, 24
tel. +39 0544 977592