The 3Z community garden is found in the center of Kasuku in the neighborhood of the same name, at block 3Z, in Kindu, a town in Maniema province.
This garden is worked on by 5 families which each have more than 5 children. The total area is made up of 3 sub-sites due to the available gardening space in the town.
The garden has a president, a secretary and a treasurer. The funds are all managed collectively and the members consult and decide together on the use of 60% of the harvest, either evenly splitting it or otherwise, while the remaining 40% is used as a reserve.
The community garden’s 3 sites are all rectangular and have a total surface area of 10 are.
The soil is made ready for cultivation by compost from household waste.
The garden is found in a tropical climate that has two seasons: the rainy season lasts nine months and the dry lasts for three.
The soil is sandy and silty.
This site was created by a non-profit organization called the “Movement for coaching voicless women at the base” (MEFVB). ). This group is associated with the platform known as “Integral Development Consultation Framework of Maniema” (whose acronym is CACODI-MANIEMA); beginning from the technical supervision of the Ngo CARS the association put the members of the garden in contact with Slow Food International.
The seeds planted in the garden are diversified, as there are both medicinal plants and vegetables.
Some of the medicinal plants found here are: aloe vera (“ subiri “), thitonia (“kilulukudju”), moringa, fir trees and tobacco. Some of the food crops are: spring onions, celery, eggplantm tomatoes, amaranth, yellow onions, spinach, sweet potatoes and bananas.
The members work in and water the garden every morning and evening, as they all live quite near the site.
Kindu, Kasuku neighborhood, Maniema province
Marie Noël Bahatikitoko